Amos Cellars: "The Churner" & "The Shepherd"

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

Amos Cellars: "The Churner" & "The Shepherd"

Postby Phil_Carpenter » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:35 pm

So I always have an ever-changing mental list of labels/wines I want to try. For a while, I've been wanting to try Amos Cellars (http://amoscellars.com/).

If you haven't heard of it, you will now. Amos Cellars is made by Jon McDaniel, who is a rock star somm and the Wine Director at Los Olivos Wine Merchant & Cafe. Jon decided to make some wine and named it after his Grandfather, Amos. I luckily got my hands on Jon's chard and pinot.

Amos_Cellars_01.jpg
The Lineup...
Amos_Cellars_01.jpg (76.41 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

2009 Amos Cellars "Churner"
100% chardonnay, Edna Valley, Oliver's Vineyard (Talley Vineyards)
An obvious tongue-in-cheek homage to California's famous malo/butter chards. When I think of those chards, I think of women wearing jackets with shoulder pads, listening to Huey Lewis and standing under a Nagel. BTW, I don't think this is a bad thing...it just takes me back to a different time. This nose has hints of those "classic" California wines. Golden hay in the light with sparkling edges. Some baking spice, vanilla, ripe tropical notes (pineapple to be specific). Under those notes though...a little underbrush...chive...and some mineral. Mouth is full of lemon and lime goodness. The pineapple is there as well. Great weight to go with a nice acid/mineral streak. Very niiiice.

The label makes you think one thing, but the contents gives you something much more. This wine was a crowd pleaser...especially amongst the ladies. How cool would it be to make a wine the ladies love so much?

Amos_Cellars_02.jpg
"The Churner"
Amos_Cellars_02.jpg (72.83 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

2009 Amos Cellars "The Shepherd"
100% pinot noir, Central Coast, 75% Bien Nacido Vineyard, 25% Sierra Madre
Alright...I'm an absolute sucker for Bien Nacido fruit...pinot, syrah, chard...whatever! Yanked the cork on this on and it exploded out of the bottle. Grilled meats, smoke, spice, some ripe red fruits. This was an aromatic beast to start. I thought it would be purple when I poured it in my glass. Nope...a beautiful light garnet that shimmered in the San Diego sunlight.

This wine was super complex and changed every twenty to thirty minutes. Sometimes slapping my nose, other times hiding behind a corner and peeking out with one eye. Other times emerging like an absolutely stunningly beautiful woman. This was the last note I was left with. Just a brilliant, feminine pinot that had red and blue fruit dancing with each other. A lighter medium body that had a mineral and loam hint. Some point I got leather. Just an absolutely crazy wine. This had us all scratching our heads and saying, "Wow".

Amos_Cellars_03.jpg
"The Shepherd"
Amos_Cellars_03.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 2701 times

Both astounding wines. Jon's got some tricks up his sleeve for the next vintage. I can't wait to try them. They are going to be great if these two were any indication.

Cheers and thank you Jon!
Admin for this Lovely Site
Phil_Carpenter
Site Admin

Return to Wine Chat