Catching Up on a Few Wines - Lato, Dragonette and Tercero

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

Catching Up on a Few Wines - Lato, Dragonette and Tercero

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun May 06, 2012 9:48 pm

Haven’t posted in quite a while and need to catch up on some Santa Barbara Wines.

2008 Paul Lato “Duende” Gold Coast Vineyard Pinot Noir. Brought this to lunch at George’s Ocean Terrace in La Jolla today. Perfect compromise for two who love whites and two who love big reds. Went well with all dishes. A beautifully vivid red color while dining outdoors. Nice nose of cherry, raspberry and spice. Seemed a bit soft on mid palate and finish on pop and pour, but quickly fleshed out after about 15 minutes of air in the glass. More red fruits on the palate with a lovely spice and a bit of the old forest floor. Lovely wine.

2009 Paul Lato “Souvenir” Sierra Madrea Vineyard Chardonnay. Opened this as one of the welcome/starter whites prior to an Italian dinner/tasting of big reds. My Italian white selection was a bit weak, so added this - Paul is originally from Poland so I thought “close enough”. Everyone loved this wine, with a few comparisons to white Burg. Didn’t take notes that night but recall apple and pear, with som spice and good minerality. Both Galloni and Jeb Dunnuck gave this a 95. They obviously have good taste! ;)

Various Dragonette: We met Phil and Rachel at Third Corner in Encinitas a few weeks ago for a Dragonette wine dinner, with Brandon Sparks-Gillis hosting. Didn’t take notes with dinner, but was again impressed with the whole line up. The ’10 Sauvignon Blanc’s were outstanding and always among the best in CA. As good as the Santa Ynez blend was, the Happy Canyon was on another level and should go strong for a few years. Both were refreshing and had nice acidity but the HC had a serious mouth feel and a bit more fleshed out. Truly gorgeous. The ’10 Sta Rita Hills Pinot Noir was also excellent and drinking well - a great pair with the Sesame Crusted Ahi course. We got a double bonus with the 3rd course (Hoisin Glazed Short Rib), as it was paired with both the 08 MJM and 10 Seven GSM (Menu said ’10, but thinking it may have been the 09). I’m a Rhone guy and both of these hit the spot and paired perfectly with the short ribs. Just a great evening and a bargain at $65 for four courses and five great Dragonette wines. Brandon and the Dragonette brothers are doing some amazing things and each year seems to be even better.

2009 Tercero "The Outlier" Gewurztraminer: Had this with Turkey and trimmings on Easter sunday. I've loved this wine each time we have had it. Just a gorgeous nose! Tropicals, honeysuckle and a bit of spice. Great mouthfeel and a hint of sweetness. Always a crowd pleaser. Sadly, my last of four bottles but time to move on to the '10.

Cheers,

Steve
Twitter: @tuscanswede
Delectable: Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson

Return to Wine Chat