2010 Dragonette Happy Canyon Sauv Blanc, "Long Aged"

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

Postby Phil_Carpenter » Sun May 20, 2012 7:50 pm

Got this bottle from Brandon a few weeks back. I wanted to hold-off...but I couldn't resist on this beautiful sunny day.

Very youthful, translucent yellow. Initial pop was toasted coconut...with the coconut cream pie underneath. Bright tropical fruit with lemon/lime notes. Mineral and zingy acid on the finish.

Fleshed out a little with room temp and air. Complexity kicked in.

Wow. I was expecting a darker, more ripe tropical with the long aged. But plenty of acid to go with the layers.

Brandon Sparks-Gillis and the Dragonettes are making killer wines. Their Sauv Blancs might be California's best.
Attachments
IMG_1369.JPG
the label
IMG_1369.JPG (977.06 KiB) Viewed 3605 times
IMG_1370.jpg
The color
IMG_1370.jpg (1.02 MiB) Viewed 3605 times
Admin for this Lovely Site
Phil_Carpenter
Site Admin

Re: 2010 Dragonette Happy Canyon Sauv Blanc, "Long Aged"

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue May 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Phil,

Great note. Coincidentally, brought a bottle of the "regular" (only aged 11 months in barrel) Dragonette Happy Canyon Sauv Blanc to dinner in Palm Springs this past weekend. What a great wine. No notes at dinner, but recall the great citrus, pear and honey notes. Darker than I expected and truly a very serious Sauv Blanc. The down side was that with five people at dinner, I only got one glass.

The tech sheet on the Dragonette site includes:
"We believe that Sauvignon Blanc is one of the great white wine grapes of the world, and we aim to produce reference point wines from this varietal."

I think Dragonette is hitting Sauv Blanc out of the park and agree with your assessment - can't think of a better Cali Sauv Blanc I've had over the past two years.

Cheers,

Steve
Twitter: @tuscanswede
Delectable: Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson

Re: 2010 Dragonette Happy Canyon Sauv Blanc, "Long Aged"

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:45 pm

Have had the regular '10 Happy Canyon twice now and finally had a chance to pop the "Long Aged" version, which is aged 18 months in neutral oak. What a great Sauv Blanc. Extremely expressive nose of tropical, green honeydew melon and citrus. Nice mouthfeel with more honeydew, mango and a lemon/citrus lift. Gorgeous. Highly Recommended!
Twitter: @tuscanswede
Delectable: Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson

Return to Wine Chat