Sunday, Sanguis Sunday

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

Sunday, Sanguis Sunday

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon May 28, 2012 10:25 pm

Enjoyed two Sanguis wines on Sunday, with a great carry-over into Monday night.

2009 Ode to Sunshine Chardonnay: Started off dominated by some butterscotch on night one, this evolved into a truly beautiful Chard on Day two. A bit hazy/cloudy, medium gold color. Bits of lemon, apricot and tropicals on the nose, with a similar follow through on the palate. Medium body, good acid and medium long finish. This was very nice on night one, but a truly fantastic Chard for my palate on day two. 100% Bien Nacido fruit. Excellent.

2005 The Optimist Syrah: Was a bit worried on pop&pour, as both the nose and palate seemed a bit shut down. After 15 minutes of air...wow. What a great Syrah (with 3% Vio in the mix). Beautiful nose of florals, blackberry and a hint of meat and smoke. On the palate, dominated by dark blackberries and raspberry. Just a wonderful texture and weight, with a medium long finish. Truly enjoyed this and along with the '04 Last Dance, my favorite Sanguis Red to date. These wines are really rockin' with a few years of age on them. A mix of Watch Hill, Westerly and Thompson fruit.

Cheers,

Steve
Twitter: @tuscanswede
Delectable: Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson

Re: Sunday, Sanguis Sunday

Postby Phil_Carpenter » Wed May 30, 2012 6:09 pm

These wine continue to grow on me...I'm a total freak for the whites. Thanks for the notes Steve!!
Admin for this Lovely Site
Phil_Carpenter
Site Admin

Postby wineguydotcom » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Hadn't noticed Steve's notes until after I posted my comments on Sanguis, thinking it was a new discovery. well, it was for me.. : ) appreciate Steve's comments; much more articulate and informative than mine.
wineguydotcom

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Bob,

Welcome to the board and thank you for the feedback. Phil also posted on his day at Sanguis helping bottle "The Ballad of John Henry" back in Feb.

http://santabarbarawinetalk.com/sbwt/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=101

I agree with Phil that the whites are interesting and fun, but the reds can certainly be a challenge when released. Antonio Galloni's recent notes hint at the same, as he stated he found many of the reds more interesting from barrel than he did from bottle. He went on to suggest that extended barrel aging may not be the right regime for these.

I didn't have the 04 and 05 reds on release, so I can't draw any comparisons with the recent releases, but I can uncatgorically state that I loved them with 6+ years of bottle age. That gives me hope and a bit of confidence that the newer releases will evolve into similar gems as well.

Cheers!

Steve
Twitter: @tuscanswede
Delectable: Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson

Return to Wine Chat