2008 Hilliard Bruce "Moon" and 1992 Ici/La-Bas Pinots

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

2008 Hilliard Bruce "Moon" and 1992 Ici/La-Bas Pinots

Postby Steve Anderson » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Wasn’t able to attend the “Wine and Fire” event this weekend, but fellow board member Don Nuzzo and I were lucky enough to attend a local barbecue with friends in Carlsbad. Theme was Pinot. Some excellent wines were opened, including one from SB County and one from Oregon via Santa Maria.

2008 Hilliard Bruce “Moon” Pinot Noir. After an excellent start with 2008 Sojourn Gap’s Crown and 2006 Kosta Browne 4-Barrel, bottle three was the 08 HB Moon from the Santa Rita Hills. I enjoyed this about 18 months ago at the World of Pinot Noir event and it showed extremely well again at the barbecue yesterday. Nice nose of red fruit and slight florals, with a nice mix of cherry, raspberry and strawberry with a bit spice on the palate. Just a nice hint of sweetness (goes with that red fruit) and a wonderful texture. Really enjoyed this one. The folks at HB are doing great work and of course it doesn’t hurt to have Paul Lato as consultant.

1992 Ici/La-Bas Pinot Noir. The grapes are from the Montinore Vineyard in the Willamette Valley of Oregon, but there is a strong Santa Barbara connection. Winemaker is Jim Clendenen and it was bottled in Santa Maria. Picked up four pristine bottles at auction last year and this was number 3. Color was worrisome and showing some bricking, but the wine was sound and very good. Initial hint of barnyard and flint/gunpowder on the nose was very different from the first three wines. Nice palate of cherry, strawberry and an earthy component with nice acidity. Not bad for a 20 year old Oregon Pinot, in fact very good.

Other wines consumed:
2005 Domaines Perdrix Nuits St George Bourgogne Prem Cru – nice bones but needs more time
2005 Domaine Leflaive Batard Montrachet Grand Cru – wow, wow, wow. This is why I stay away from white Burg. Can’t afford to get hooked!
2005 Futo (Cab/Merlot). It wasn’t Pinot, but boy was it good. Don and I both oohed and ahhed (and salivated) over this one.

Bottom line: The Santa Rita Hills Pinot held its own and showed well against its PN cousins from Sonoma, Oregon and Bourgogne!

Cheers,

Steve
Twitter: @tuscanswede
Delectable: Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson

Re: 2008 Hilliard Bruce "Moon" and 1992 Ici/La-Bas Pinots

Postby Don Nuzzo » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:06 am

Yea, that Futo was amazing. So was the white burg... wow.

Thanks for the notes... a good time was had by all.
Don Nuzzo

Return to Wine Chat