Expansion of Santa Barbara's Urban Wine Trail..oct6 & feb15-

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

Expansion of Santa Barbara's Urban Wine Trail..oct6 & feb15-

Postby wineguydotcom » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:06 am

The whole wine scene started with Santa Barbara Winery in 1962, before grapes were even being grown in Santa Barbara. (at least post-prohibition grapes; during the mission years and right up to prohibition, there were vineyards on both sides of the Santa Ynez Mountains--and some on Santa Cruz Island.) Grapes were first planted in 1965/6? and that vineyard, the Nielsen vineyard, is still in existence as Byron. But all those grapes, and the grapes from the next few vineyards all went north to Napa/Sonoma. In 1972, Firestone, Zaca Mesa and Bettencourt all started integrated wineries--vineyards and wineries. Now there are over a hundred in the Vintners' Association and they all pour on Oct 13 at the Celebration of Harvest.

In the meantime, 16 other wineries have joined Pierre Lafond's Santa Barbara Winery in the city of Santa Barbara (and Summerland, where Summerland Winery has their tasting room.. makes sense : ) Santa Barbara Magazine did a nice little article on some of the newer members--Grassini, Drake, Pali, Cottonwood, Deep Sea--in the current issue and Pacific Coast Business News did a very nice article on the whole group.. including plans for a February Syrah seminar in February and another passport event next summer: http://www.pacbiztimes.com/2012/09/21/santa-barbaras-urban-wine-trail-too-big-to-fail-to-organize/

So if you're in Santa Barbara without a car, or for some reason don't want, or don't have time, to go over the hill to the vineyards and wineries, you now have a great choice of wineries to visit. Many of which you can walk to from the train station. Seven of them make wine on premise, the other ten are standalone tasting rooms with their winery elsewhere. It's hard to pick a favorite. Jaffurs and Whitcraft are intimate and make their wines on site. Sanguis and Silver do the same but are only available by appt, I think. Santa Barbara Winery has a great tasting room, with lots of merchandise. The new Pali is beautiful, modern.. Cottonwood more homey. Drake and Municipal are innovative and fun. Next door, Kunin is beautiful, modern, with a view of the palm trees. Kalyra is typical Aussie-fun. Oceana is innovative and fun (with some great parties, if you time it right). Carr is innovative in repurposing old quonset huts and have a beautiful bar. The three in the El Paseo--Margerum, Au Bon Climat and Grassini--are all beautiful. Down the way, Summerland has a beautiful, expanded tasting room and deck.

And the wines? depends on what you like, cause there is something for everyone from a light Pinot Gris to a hearty Negrette. even some sparkling.. salud!!
Last edited by wineguydotcom on Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
wineguydotcom

Re: Expansion/Exposure of Santa Barbara's Urban Wine Trail

Postby wineguydotcom » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:55 pm

and today I see the "funk zone" within the Urban Wine Trail is having their own event Oct 6.. http://funkzone.net/focus-on-the-funk-zone/ looks like fun..
wineguydotcom

Re: Expansion/Exposure of Santa Barbara's Urban Wine Trail

Postby Phil_Carpenter » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Bob, you are KILLIN' it!! Thanks for this!!

Drake has hit my radar recently...I really want to try the label. Last time I saw the Grassini tasting room, It was bare and had a notice stating they were coming. I'd love to check them out too.

Jaffurs is my all-time fav. The guys there are absolutely amazing...and the wines aren't bad too.

Thanks again,

Phil
Admin for this Lovely Site
Phil_Carpenter
Site Admin

Return to Wine Chat