Recent Wines - Jonata, Tercero and Dragonette

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

Recent Wines - Jonata, Tercero and Dragonette

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:54 pm

2006 Jonata La Sangre de Jonata Syrah. Had an unexpected guest join us for dinner so grabbed this out of the bullpen. Was worried about how this might perform on pop&pour as my last bottle (about a year ago) needed a ton of air. It performed surprisingly well. Extremely dark color. Nose of raspberry/dark fruits, slightly smoky earth and a bit of roasted meat. On the palate, full-bodied, nice texture, dark fruit, pepper and minerals. Nice finish and tannins seemed in check. Excellent with NY strips. This was ready to drink, but I’ll caveat that it was an auction bottle so storage conditions unknown. Not sure if it would match the evolutionary path of bottles cellared/purchased on release. I do love these wines but only purchase on the secondary market as the release price of $125 is a non-starter for me.

2010 Terecero The Outlier Gewürztraminer. Hot, hot, hot in San Diego again this week. Looking for something cool and refreshing and The Outlier always hits the spot. Gorgeous nose. Citrus/stonefruit with a touch of grapefruit. Tart flavors on attack, but with an interesting slight sweetness in the mix. I’ll have to admit I liked the ’09 a tad more, but that is splitting hairs. At about $20, this is an excellent value and always a treat, particularly on a hot day.

2009 Dragonette Cellars Vogelzang Vineyard Sauvignon Blanc. The last of my 09’s and probably my favorite among the three cuvees I had from that vintage (Santa Ynez Valley, Happy Canyon and Vogelzang). Wonderful nose. Apricot/nectarine and lemon palate with some tropical in the mix. Nice mouthfeel and acidity. I’ve said it before, but these are the best Sauv Blancs in Santa Barbara County in my opinion, and perhaps the best in the state. Looking forward to trying the ’10 “Long Aged” Happy Canyon.

Cheers,

Steve
Twitter: @tuscanswede
Delectable: Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson

Re: Recent Wines - Jonata, Tercero and Dragonette

Postby Phil_Carpenter » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:47 pm

Steve, GREAT notes!! I'm so happy that Jonata worked out! I know how tightly wound those bad boys can be if opened too early and not aired out. Perhaps the most complex and mind-warping wines I've had from SB.

Larry's Outlier is my, "Ole' Reliable" as well. Seems to be a family favorite as well...never seems to last long once opened.

I have two of those Vogelzang SB's left...and one 10 extended barrel aged. I had the 10 a while back...crazy acid. I also have one bottle of the 08 extended barrel aged. ;) I'm in the camp that Brandon is making the state's best SB...
Admin for this Lovely Site
Phil_Carpenter
Site Admin

Return to Wine Chat