Recent Wines - Chien, Liquid Farm and Copain

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

Recent Wines - Chien, Liquid Farm and Copain

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:58 pm

2008 Chien Edelzwicker. Was a bit worried that a 2008 SB Riesling blend may already be passing maturity, but this is still doing very well. Popped and poured. Extremely pale yellow color, almost clear. Nose took a bit of coaxing at first, but quickly came around with citrus and apple. Seemed a bit light on entry, but fleshed out in body mid-palate, with citrus and honey. Riesling component dominates slightly. Good acidity and balance, with a touch of sweetness. Winery tech sheet indicates 0.6% RS. 45% Bien Nacido Pinot Blanc, 40% Camp 4 Riesling, and 15% Alisos Gewurztraminer. Winery notes tag this as a slow ager with a drinking window of 2013-2016 “and beyond”. I enjoyed this quite a bit and Misuk and our friend EJ “loved” this wine. Definitely worth trying and they make a 2009 Gruner as well. Chien is owned by and Don and Lyndsay Schroeder with a focus on Alsatian and Austrian styles, and a portion of the profits going to an animal rescue shelter as well (Chien is French for Dog). Don is currently the winemaker at Sea Smoke and son/step son of the owners of Ampelos. No tasting room, but web site indicates that the wine is occasionally poured at the Ampelos tasting room in the Lompoc Whine Ghetto.

2010 Liquid Farm Golden Slope Chardonnay. This disappeared almost too fast among four of us to take notes, but was extremely enjoyable. Lemon/citrus, pear and tangerine. Nice minerality. Drinking very well. From Zotovich and Rita’s Crown fruit. Great collaboration between owners Jeff and Nikki Nelson, and the Dragonette winemaking team of Brandon Sparks-Gillis and John Dragonette. Excellent wine. Have previously enjoyed the 10 White Hill Chard and 11 Rose. Highly recommended.

2006 Copain Harrison Clarke Syrah. Enjoyed on pop-n-pour and then over three days. Extremely dark in the glass. Trying to find the best descriptor for the nose and Chris Whetstone hit it best with his “Teriyaki Beef Jerky” note on CT. Dark fruit on the palate with some oak poking through. Licorice and black pepper round out for a nice Syrah experience. A touch of heat, but not bothersome to me. Enjoyable Syrah.

Cheers,

Steve
Twitter: @tuscanswede
Delectable: Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson

Re: Recent Wines - Chien, Liquid Farm and Copain

Postby Phil_Carpenter » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Great stuff as always Steve!!

I gotta get my hands on some Chien...haven't had any yet!

What else can I say about Liquid Farm...love it.

Man, haven't had the Copain either! I'm lagging!!
Admin for this Lovely Site
Phil_Carpenter
Site Admin

Return to Wine Chat