Pre-"Winter Wine Experience" in the Ghetto

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

Pre-"Winter Wine Experience" in the Ghetto

Postby Phil_Carpenter » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:12 pm

The Lompoc Wine Ghetto had their inaugural "Winter Wine Experience" last Sunday (12-02-12). This great event was held to benefit the Lompoc Boys and Girls Club. I was able to make it...but before the official start time began (3pm-6pm). I dropped my wife off at the airport in San Diego at 5am, drove to Ojai, dropped off my little girl with my Aunt, and picked up my Uncle and Birthday Boy Cousin, and hit the road. We got into town around 11:15pm. An old friend, who I haven't seen for a while, was having an open house. We decided we had to go say hello.

Cargasacchi/Point Concepcion

I hadn't seen Peter in a while. Always great to hangout and hear the stories. Peter was showing off his miniature wolf hound and pouring his new wines. As usual, the wines were all showing their beauty. The Point Concepcion Wines have gone through a facelift in a couple ways. The 2010 Celestina Pinot Grigio sports a new label, and new look. Not orange this year, but still exhibiting those beautiful orange blossom and stonefruit notes. Great acid. The 09 Caponera Chard is still a steal with its tropical fruit and weight. 2010 Point Concepcion Salsipuedes Pinot Noir was lighter in color than the Cargasacchi Pinots, and had a bit more acid. But man, what a great bottle. Got the great red fruit, earth, and cedar. Lovely.

10Celestina.jpg
Pinot Grigio label
10Celestina.jpg (9.15 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

10salsipuedes.jpg
Pinot Noir Label
10salsipuedes.jpg (9.65 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

Peter had 09 Cargasacchi Cargasacchi Vineyard Pinot open, as well as the 10 Cargasacchi Jalama Vineyard Pinot. Man, as velvety, smooth as I remember them. One of my first Pinots when I visited Lompoc for the first time. Tugged at my heartstrings. Lastly, 2009 Invincible Sun. My favorite dessert wine from the area. This one doesn't bludgeon you with mandarin orange...but has a nice underlying of the note...as well as orange blossom/honeysuckle. The key is the acid. Rather light on its feet. To me, that is what I look for in white sticky.

What I walked out with: The "Pinot Pack" (Both Cargasacchi Pinots, and the Point Concepcion Pinot), and an Invincible Sun.

IMG_2068.jpg
Peter holding a bottle of sparkling Pinot he will be releasing in the upcoming months.
IMG_2068.jpg (141.19 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

Next up...

Brewer-Clifton

Last time I tasted at Brewer-Clifton (B-C), I had to make an appointment, pay a pretty steep price, and only got to taste the Mount Carmel (second highest produced Chard & Pinot), and the Santa Barbara County wines. Honestly, I was a little disappointed. Now B-C has a tasting room, and has a great flight of white and reds to share.

B-C sent an e-mail stating they would be pouring their 3-D Sparkling Chard for the event. We were early and asked if they had any open. They did not...bummed, but understood! Then the woman working the room sent a text, and before you know it...POP! Out came the bubbles!! So glad she was able to open it for us. Just a beautiful sparkler. I got fresh pears and almond. Just yummy. The flight of Chards were beautiful and my favorite part of the flights. 3-D was excellent, but the Gnesa blew me away. 3-D Pinot was everything I love in SRH pinot. Great red fruit, earth, and loam. The Melville Pinot was amazing as well.

What I walked out with: 2010 Brewer-Clifton Gnesa Chard

IMG_2069.jpg
B-C Tasting Room
IMG_2069.jpg (149.24 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
IMG_2070.jpg
The 3-D sparkler getting poured
IMG_2070.jpg (142.3 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
IMG_2071.jpg
3-D Sparkler Info Sheet
IMG_2071.jpg (81.4 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

Met up with some industry folk and went to:

Arcadian/Bratcher

Man, I seriously love BOTH these labels. Arcadian has one of my favorite all-time Chards. And fortunately, they had a 2007 Sleepy Hollow Chard open for us. God I love it so. The 2007 Sleepy Hollow Pinot was smokin' as well. Bratcher Wines might be the biggest bang for the buck deal in all of Santa Barbara. 09 Chard is beautiful and crisp and under thirty. 09 La Encantada Pinot is such a great expression from the vineyard...and under forty. But the 08 Santa Barbara Syrah just hit me perfectly. Watch Hill and Los Alamos...pepper...acid...my kinda Syrah! STEAL at $22!!!

What I walked out with: 08 Bratcher Santa Barbara County Syrah

IMG_2072.jpg
07 Sleepy Hollow Chard...sigh
IMG_2072.jpg (162.91 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

Ran in the rain to:

Zotovich

One of my all-time favorite labels. Great folks (Ryan and Brit)...great fruit...great wines. Quick three wine tasting...all impressive. 09 Chard was great...09 Pinot was even better (which is saying A LOT since the Chard is usually my fav)...and SUPERIOR was the 09 Syrah. Hard to find SRH Syrah...and they have some killer rows at Zotovich. Man, this wine is ruled. True NoRhone.

What I walked out with: 09 Zotovich Syrah

IMG_2074.jpg
Zotovich Tasting Room
IMG_2074.jpg (149.09 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

Next stops:

Piedrasassi/Evening Land

Melissa Sorongon has her talented vision and hands all over these labels. Thankfully, she give me the time of day and lets me try these OUTSTANDING wines! The 2010 Piedrasassi Central Coast White Wine is a total mind freak and one of my favorite whites of all time. It's worth driving up to the Ghetto for a few ounces of this alone! 2010 “P.S.” Central Coast Syrah..."The Cream Label" is silky smooth and priced disgustingly low ($18/bottle). 2009 Piedrasassi Central Coast Syrah is a step up and hits me perfectly. Fruit, acid, weight...perfect.

What I walked out with: 2010 “P.S.” Central Coast Syrah..."The Cream Label"

IMG_2075.jpg
Piedrasassi Tasting Room
IMG_2075.jpg (136.92 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

Walked next door to Evening Land. Beautiful room...got to start with the 2010 Chardonnay, Bourgogne Blanc, Blue Label. I've been drinking a lot of Burg lately and this hit the spot. Clean and refreshing. The Pinots we tasted were a flight from the Santa Rita Hills vineyards. 2010 Evening Land Vineyard Estate, 2010 Memorious, and Bloom's Field...all STUNNING!! The Memorious was my favorite though. Showing a great hue, structure...but with acid! Man.

IMG_2076.jpg
Evening Land Memorious Pinot
IMG_2076.jpg (179.13 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

What I walked out with: WILD CARD!! 2009 Pinot Noir, Vosne-Romanee. Was in the middle of a Burgundy Intensive class and wanted to try some Vosne-Romanee fruit!! Beautiful BTW!

IMG_2078.jpg
Evening Land Vosne-Romanee
IMG_2078.jpg (132.19 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

Lastly, drove in the pouring rain to...

Jalama Wines

Always gotta go say hi to Mark! The tasting room was PACKED! Mark had the always crowd pleasing Clementina open. 2011 vintage...55% Riesling...45% Sauv Blanc. 100% YUM!!! He also had the brand new 2010 Carg Pinot open. This is from the family's Santa Rita Hills vineyard. Man, a great Pinot.

IMG_2077.jpg
Mark Cargasacchi workin' like a mad man!
IMG_2077.jpg (145.97 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

We had to take off right when the Ghetto was getting packed with folks attending the function. I was happy all the places were cool with us showing up early. It had been a while since I'd been back in the Ghetto. I left kicking myself that I hadn't done it sooner. All the people and the wines were excellent! Until next time!

Cheers
134245_4256225283009_471662603_o.jpg
Event Flyer
134245_4256225283009_471662603_o.jpg (138.24 KiB) Viewed 2674 times

IMG_2073.jpg
A Wet Ghetto
IMG_2073.jpg (96.25 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
Admin for this Lovely Site
Phil_Carpenter
Site Admin

Re: Pre-"Winter Wine Experience" in the Ghetto

Postby Steve Anderson » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:12 am

Phil,

Sounds like a great day. Awesome notes and photos! It looks like you'll need to get up earlier or stay later next time, as you missed Ampelos, Samsara, Palmina and a host of others. Slacker!

Seriously, a great read. I've heard the rumors of Sparklers for a year or two now and excited to see they are getting nearer to fruition.

Signed up for the Bratcher email list about a year ago, but haven't heard a peep since. Thought the wines were exciting when we tasted them at 3rd Corner OB way back when.

I knew Evening Land had the French Connection going, but no clue they had a Vosnee Romanee in the mix. Sounds pretty interesting.

I should have let you twist my arm a little harder to make this trip!

Cheers,

Steve
Twitter: @tuscanswede
Delectable: Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson

Return to Wine Chat