TN's: 2011 Tatomer Paragon, Gruner Veltliner

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

TN's: 2011 Tatomer Paragon, Gruner Veltliner

Postby Phil_Carpenter » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:49 pm

On our last trip to Los Olivos, we dropped into Bin 2860 to visit Chris Knox. Tasted some real interesting bubbles, but saw this beauty resting on the wooden racks. $22/bottle...I knew it was going to be a steal. After tasting it tonight...I'm kicking myself that I didn't clear the rack.

Had some friends over for a Mexican style street taco fest. I knew I wanted to have something with acid, interesting, and would be a ringer. I knew I could count on Graham Tatomer.

2011 Tatomer, Paragon, Gruner Veltliner, Edna Valley

I know, technically not Santa Barbara fruit, but made by one of the valley's most exciting winemakers. This wine was explosive on the nose. Fresh citrus, white flowers, and a stony minerality. Acid is high, but not over the top. Great citrus, gravely finish that made this wine oh so refreshing.

Graham kicks out unbelievable Riesling and Gruners. Not typical varietals...but done oh so interesting and good. If you get a chance, check out Graham's handy work: http://www.tatomerwines.com/pages/wines
Attachments
Tatomer.jpg
bottle shot...
Tatomer.jpg (535.49 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
Admin for this Lovely Site
Phil_Carpenter
Site Admin

Re: TN's: 2011 Tatomer Paragon, Gruner Veltliner

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:05 pm

Brought my last bottle to a large wine dinner (pre-Falltacular) last weekend. I didn't get to taste as the bottles were passed around, but heard a lot of great comments, including from Paso and Napa winemakers present.

Will have to find some more!

Cheers,

Steve
Twitter: @tuscanswede
Delectable: Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson

Return to Wine Chat