Some Notes on the New Wines from Tercero

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

Some Notes on the New Wines from Tercero

Postby Phil_Carpenter » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:27 pm

I talk to Larry Schaffer of Tercero Wines quite often. I mean, he was instrumental in getting me into the area. During one call recently, Larry was particularly enthused (imagine that!) about some newly bottled wines. "Phil, you gotta try them, I'm really excited about them". So to wrap up Vintners Fest weekend, The Carpenter fam decided to take Larry up on the offer of tasting some of the new stuff.

First up...

2012 "The Outlier" (100% Gewürztraminer)

Named, "The Outlier" since gewurzt is not a Rhone varietal. This has always been one of my favs. Larry poured this first. WOW! Aromatics are off the charts. White perfumy flowers, some stone fruit. Zingy citrus...just YUM!

2012 Mourvedre Rose

First thing that struck me...the color! Probably the lightest hue I've seen. Look of both wonder...and delight. Is this Bandol-esque?! My goodness! Some nice chalky minerality with some citrus, melon, red fruits.

Tercero1.jpg
The new Outlier & Mourved Rose
Tercero1.jpg (625.59 KiB) Viewed 4753 times

Larry had his new syrah and mourved open, I was able to take them home and sample over the next couple days.

2009 Larner Syrah

Have always loved this vineyard, and Larry's interpretation. This one has some vio in it, and has some extra barrel age. Initial pop was all about lavender. One Day Open: Not initially as expressive as on initial pop. After a little while, perfume, lavender, some smoke, iron, ripe blueberry. Consistent palate, with some yummy red/blue fruit, spice, pepper, with some mushroom and acid on finish.

Second day had a touch more blue fruit. But acid is still there on finish. Some more earthy, smoke notes.

10 Mourved

Wild flowers, brighter red fruit (raspberries/strawberries), baking spices. Consistent palate, very lively. Medium body or a touch lower. Crazy mouth feel.

Second night, ALL spice, touch of chocolate, with rocky acid.

Tercero2.jpg
Larner Syrah & Mourved
Tercero2.jpg (528.61 KiB) Viewed 4753 times

Look, I admit my bias, I love Larry, and I love his wines. His first vintage was 2006...he is barely releasing his sixth vintage. That is counting his time as Assistant Winemaker at Fess Parker (check the scores on the vintages he worked at Fess...pretty good scores), and with his own label. Larry is growing and improving with every year. Prices on these beauties are excellent as well. If you want to have fun tasting, talking, and having some killer wines, get a hold of Larry.

http://tercerowines.com/
https://www.facebook.com/tercerowinesfa ... ts&fref=ts

Tercero3.jpg
Larry & I
Tercero3.jpg (449.33 KiB) Viewed 4753 times
Admin for this Lovely Site
Phil_Carpenter
Site Admin

Re: Some Notes on the New Wines from Tercero

Postby Steve Anderson » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Phil,

Thanks for the update on Larry and Tercero. Loved the 09/10 Outliers and CT says I only have one left. :(

10 Mourvedre sounds awesome, but haven't cracked the 09 yet. Also reloaded on the 08 Loco last fall and have yet to open. Looks like I need to schedule some Tercero time!

Cheers,

Steve
Twitter: @tuscanswede
Delectable: Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson

Postby sbfireman » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:09 am

Larry is a great guy - full of life and willing to open anything to share. Always with that great big smile! Solid juice, too. Need to re-visit him in the TR.....soon!
sbfireman

Postby Phil_Carpenter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:41 pm

Funny, grabbed a Loco on the way out the door. Love that bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Admin for this Lovely Site
Phil_Carpenter
Site Admin

Return to Wine Chat