2012 J. Brix Riesling, The Augur

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

2012 J. Brix Riesling, The Augur

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:04 pm

Have had the opportunity to taste several J Brix wines at a couple of local events, but this is my first time to follow a bottle over several days.

2012 J Brix Riesling, The Augur, Kick On Ranch Vineyard. I really enjoyed this. Faint smell of petrol on pop and pour. On the palate, no mistaking this for old world Riesling, but what a great bottle of wine. Strong citrus/lemon, with great minerality and really zippy acidity. This would probably be even better with food, but I enjoyed a glass a night on its own over four nights. The wine held up well over that time, and by nights 3 and 4 there were more Riesling characteristics poking through the lemon and acidity. Hope to try this again in a year or two if I can snag another bottle.

Emily and Jody (Brix) Towe are doing great work with Santa Barbara and San Diego County grapes. Check out their site for more info: http://www.jbrix.com

ABV: 11.1%
Production: 47 Cases
Source: Retail/The Third Corner, Encinitas CA
JBrix Augur2.jpg
JBrix Augur2.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 5721 times
Twitter: @tuscanswede
Delectable: Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson

Re: 2012 J. Brix Riesling, The Augur

Postby sbfireman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:26 am

Steve -

Based on your TN, I jumped on their web site! Look forward to learning more and tasting some of their offerings. Was very interested to hear about the evolution of the wine over several days. Usually don't make it past the same evening for the juice I open!!

Thanks!
sbfireman

Postby Phil_Carpenter » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:48 am

Great stuff, as always, Steve! Love their stuff. They share a new space in Escondido with Vesper, who were recently mentioned in Jon Bonne's book.
Admin for this Lovely Site
Phil_Carpenter
Site Admin

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:10 pm

sbfireman wrote:Steve -

Based on your TN, I jumped on their web site! Look forward to learning more and tasting some of their offerings. Was very interested to hear about the evolution of the wine over several days. Usually don't make it past the same evening for the juice I open!!

Thanks!

If you like some of the newer, higher acid, lower alcohol wines coming out of California you will probably like this. Certainly not mistaken for German, and even quite different than the Tatomer Riesling from the same Vineyard (which I also love). The Tatomer is about 2+ pts higher in alcohol with a different profile, made in the "Austrian Style" with skin contact according to Graham.

Just bought another bottle of the Augur at 3rd Corner in the SD area, along with a bottle of the 2012 Alamos Creek, San Luis Obispo Syrah. Know the latter will be a baby, but will probably give it a try soon to see if I like the style on the reds.

From the web site it looks like you may be able to find a retail bottle at Los Olivos Wine Merchant or Bell Farms in Los Alamos.

Cheers!

Steve
Steve Anderson

Postby Steve Anderson » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:12 pm

Phil_Carpenter wrote:Great stuff, as always, Steve! Love their stuff. They share a new space in Escondido with Vesper, who were recently mentioned in Jon Bonne's book.

Have been keeping my eye out for Vesper, and after checking the web site I see their new facility is less than five minutes from my house! :P
Steve Anderson

Return to Wine Chat