Visit to jbrix in Carlsbad

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

Visit to jbrix in Carlsbad

Postby Phil_Carpenter » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:09 pm

I recently posted about the jbrix wines and thought I'd ask Jody Towe if he'd mind hosting a tasting. Thankfully, he had time for us.

So the Carpenter family drove up to Carlsbad to have some Santa Barbara wine that is made down here in good ole San Diego.

Jody introduced us to his family and his fellow winemaker, Emily. One quick left through the door took us to the cellar. Probably the best garage conversion I've ever seen!

Multiple barrels in nice rows...mood lighting...and great music. Jody and Emily were nice enough to have the wines open for us, as well as some beautiful snacks.

First up was the rose. I recently posted about the rose here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=50

A beautiful experience yet again.

Second up:

09 jbrix La Paloma Libresca (Santa Barbara Highlands Grenache)
Split rock, saddle leather, ripe raspberry, a touch of mint or eucalyptus. Great weight and mouthfeel. Palate is consistent with some ripe blue fruit as well.

2010 Santa Barbara Highlands Grenache (barrel sample)
Love it when the thief comes out! This is very feminine grenache. Fresher red fruit...couple swirls and it turned into strawberry pie. Also got a touch of the mint/eucalyptus on the very end. Medium body with some acid.

Jody stated that this was the style is shooting for. Very excited to see how this one develops.

Third wine:

09 Hornswoggle (60% grenache, 40% syrah, 100% Santa Barbara Highlands)
From http://www.jbrix.com:

2009's adventure left us with one barrel of wine remaining after the two flagship bottlings were put under cork. A ridiculously fun blend of 60 percent Grenache, 40 percent Syrah, it reeked of pure deliciousness; and unabashed more, please.

And "more please" is what I said after having a couple ounces. This brought me right back to those extremely tasty grenaches and syrahs that got me into Santa Barbara wine. Great red fruit and leather from the grenache. The syrah comes in with some pencil lead and some smoke and provides a nice back bone and structure to go along with a long finish. Very, very tasty.

Jody and Emily have a great love for Santa Barbara. They are making some great wine from really good sites. On deck will be a pinot and riesling from the Kick On Ranch. I have a feeling those will be super interesting.

If you want to see/read more, please visit http://www.jbrix.com

The site is really slick and informative.

Enjoy!

Some pics:
Attachments
3.jpg
The lovely bottles
3.jpg (16.53 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
2.jpg
Anna (our daughter) being a barrel monkey
2.jpg (23.32 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
1.jpg
The barrels!
1.jpg (17.96 KiB) Viewed 1928 times