2004 Sans Permis Chardonnay Selection Des Wayfarer

General Wine Discussion (Tasting Notes, Reviews, Info, Etc...)

Postby Steve Anderson » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:11 am

Put Bien Nacido Fruit in the hands of Thomas Rivers Brown and what's not to like?

Unfortunately this was a short-lived project. TRB served as a consulting winemaker but apparently the winery got caught in the economic downturn a few years ago and didn't survive. The good news is there are still some closeout 2004-2006 bottles out there at 1/3 to 1/2 the original $45 price.

Had the 2005 two years ago and loved it. Had a bottle of the 2004 listed in CT but could never find it in the locker and eventually deleted it thinking I must have brought it to a tasting or donated to an auction. While doing some arranging last week I found the bottle hiding in a box of similarly heavily-waxed Pax bottles. Popped and poured and enjoyed over three nights. This was still showing well, although probably at the end or just past its optimal drinking window. Showed a darker gold color. Honey, lemon and tropicals on the nose. On the palate, more honey and lemon, progressing toward butterscotch and pineapple on days 2 and 3 - drank well on night one, but faded a bit on nights two and three. This was a Parker 93 with Burg references in 2007 and a drinking window to 2017. My bottle was a retail purchase and not sure how it was stored prior to my purchase, but I'd rate it (at least the 2004) as a nice "drink up soon" which fell more into the CA camp than Burg.

Fruit came from Bien Nacido "W" block, Santa Maria Valley, 14.5%.

Cheers,

Steve
Twitter: @tuscanswede
Delectable: Steve Anderson
Steve Anderson

Re: 2004 Sans Permis Chardonnay Seleccion Des Wayfarer

Postby Phil_Carpenter » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:26 pm

I love you Steve...I know this label...but didn't know TRB made the wine for a while!!
Admin for this Lovely Site
Phil_Carpenter
Site Admin

Return to Wine Chat